Part‐Time Instructor or TA Supervision and Assessment Policy
The purpose of this policy, along with the HCDE Instructor Handbook, is to provide guidance for part‐time lecturers (PTLs) and teaching assistants (TAs) teaching HCDE courses, establish strong communication between the instructors and the department, and ensure quality instruction.
Before class begins
- The PTL/TA should be provided with syllabi from previous quarters and a copy of the HCDE Instructor Handbook.
- Syllabi/course changes should be approved before the beginning of the quarter by the Associate Chair of Learning or a Supervising HCDE Faculty member (if one was assigned by the Chair or Associate Chair) to ensure that the syllabus is consistent with programmatic goals.
- The Associate Chair will set expectations regarding mid‐quarter and post‐quarter evaluations with the instructor.
During the quarter
Part-Time Lecturer TA Assessment
- The Associate Chair is expected to check in with the PTL or TA at least once during the quarter, or on an as needed basis. Managing instructors of support lecturers and TAs should be checking in with support lecturers and TAs throughout the quarter as described in their job descriptions.
- The Associate Chair can request to conduct a classroom observation.
- PTLs and TAs will have their students complete a midterm evaluation. This evaluation will occur by the end of the fifth week of the quarter. Results will be reviewed by the Associate Chair or Chair.
- PTLs and TAs will have their students complete a written end of quarter evaluation. This evaluation will occur during the last week of the quarter. See more on this below.
- The faculty member or PTL who is managing the TA, or the Associate Chair, will conduct at least one in‐class evaluation during each of the first two quarters of teaching. Afterwards this supervisor will meet with the TA to discuss the class visit and provide written feedback.
- The faculty member who is managing the TA can request to conduct more classroom visits if necessary.
After the class has ended
- The PTL/TA will attend a wrap‐up session as requested by the Associate Chair to review end of quarter student evaluations (Office of Educational Assessment IAS forms that will be ordered by the Program Assistant, Emily Lloyd). In addition, the PTL/TA may choose to share with the Chair/Associate Chair his/her reflections on the feedback gathered.
- The Associate Chair will recommend whether the PTL/TA should be invited back to teach the course again.
- TA reappointment will follow the guidelines above, but will also take into account whether the TA is making satisfactory progress toward his/her degree.
- Required mid‐term TA assessments will be forwarded to the Graduate School.